What’s Free on TpT: Earth Day
Earth Day is celebrated every year on April 22. In my speech therapy room, I take this opportunity to pre-teach vocabulary related to spring and recycling during the month of April. We read Our Great Earth by Francis X. Murphy. (Affiliate link)
While reading the book, we made an anchor chart to hang in our room. My students were able to easily define the words after reading the book with some cueing.
My students have become very fond of my Flip to the Finish games. They were thrilled when I introduced the Earth Day version! They love the fast paced competition that this game provides. I love that it can be used for every single goal in any group. My articulation students have their deck of cards that they make sentences with. Language students have grammar cards or vocabulary tasks. Even social skills students benefit from this game as they work through the highs and lows of losing their cards and earning them back. My students who struggle with reading and spelling benefit from constantly looking for the letters to complete their vocabulary word. Every word in the game is related to our Earth Day vocabulary. It is a great opportunity for me to take data as well with each students’ progress monitoring forms in front of me while they are flipping the cards, trying to spell out their word.
I would love for you to try out the Earth Day Flip to the Finish in your classroom and let me know how it goes! Click on this picture to download:
Each student initially picks a vocabulary word to use during the game. The letters are piled up in the middle of the table. Students take turns rolling the dice, flipping the corresponding number of letters and keeping which letters are found in their word. The first student to complete their word wins! The challenge comes when you roll a six you must return all of your letters back to the deck and start again. As you can imagine, some students struggle with this. I find it helps when I play a hand with those students, losing my letters first, modeling appropriate responses.
I hope your students enjoy this Earth Day Flip to the Finish as much as mine have.
I also want to share with you some more FREE speech therapy activities on TpT that I am sure I will be using in the next week!
- My friend Mandi at Panda Speech Therapy has a great post with TWO different free downloads in it HERE.
- All Y’all Need has a free Earth Day ABC order activity great for vocabulary. Download it HERE.
- Kristin from Talkin’ With Twang has this unique and challenging Earth Day Sudoku. Download it HERE.
- The Peachie Speechie has a free 100 trials activity HERE.
- Mia McDaniel from Putting Words in Your Mouth has a free Articulation Dot Art activity that targets the /r/ and /r/ blends HERE.
- The Alberta Speechie has a free download available in her Earth Day blog post HERE.
- The Gold Country SLP has a free Following Directions download HERE.
- Sparklle SLP has a free Love the Earth Reinforcement Activity available to download HERE.
- Teach Speech 365 has a free articulation activity download HERE.
- Ashley Rossi from Sweet Southern Speech has some free brag tags that will be great for Earth Day HERE.
- Amanda Newsome from A Perfect Blend Teaching has TWO free Earth Day activities in her store. The articulation dot to dot doodles are precious as is the Earth Day Planet Saving starter kit!
Enjoy these activities with your students this month! Feel free to share more or email me with suggestions.
What will you do to make the Earth a better place?
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.