If you have been using worksheets and downloadable activities from Teachers Pay Teachers for any length of time, you have no doubt seen or purchased “editable” products. I have a few editable activities in my store …and more on the to-do list… so I wanted to better explain editable products and give you some tips for the best way to maximize them in your classroom.
Where to find editable products:
You can search Teachers Pay Teachers for editable activity, editable speech therapy, editable task cards, etc. You may see editable features in the descriptions of some of your favorite downloads.
What is needed to work in editable products:
Most editable products require Adobe Reader which is a free download. You will also need a printer to print out your products once you have entered your text.
What can be added to editable products:
Any combination of letters and numbers, symbols, etc. can be added. Speech therapists often add vocabulary words, articulation words, etc. Pre-K and Kindergarten teachers can add letters, numbers for identification and recognition, sight words, student names, number sentences, etc. Elementary teachers may add sentences for reading fluency or grammar correction. Spelling words and story sequencing are popular too!
Some of my editable products include spaces for adding your own photos/clip art. If you are not a TpT creator with a huge library of clip art don’t worry! There are MANY clip artists who offer FREE clip art on Teachers Pay Teachers that can be easily downloaded and saved for future use in this type of product. Google images by searching “___ clip art” and you can right click/save images to your computer that will work just as well.
Let’s briefly walk through the steps:
- Search and find an item to download on Teachers Pay Teachers that includes “editable pdf” in the title or description. (My editable products can be found here)
- Download the product and save to your hard drive.
- Open the file and look for the shadowed fields. This is where you will type letters and numbers. If you see an image icon, you can add a photo.
- Type in the fields and print that one page. What is currently visible on your screen will print. I don’t recommend printing the entire document at once. Save yourself some frustration and take it one page at a time.
- If you would like to save the edits, simple choose “Save As” and rename the document to keep from saving over your original.
- You are finished! You just edited your first product. I like to think of it as DIY your TpT!
Here are some examples of how I used sight words in combination with my speech articulation goals for students who were struggling in their kindergarten classroom:
That pretty much sums up why I like to use editable products. Many of the products I have created also come in black and white so students can create their own and take them home to work with parents on the same skills. I simply add the feeding face to a paper bag and put their targeted cards inside.
Sign up below to get a free sample Feed the Cow that you type directly onto the grass that students feed into the cow’s mouth. Perfect for farm themed lessons or pair with Click Clack Moo books!
If you have any questions about editable products prior to purchasing, please feel free to email me. When you use these products in your classroom, please send me a picture of how you created your own activity. I would love to see the unique nature of each product created. The possibilities are endless!
To save this post for later, pin the image below!